Re: [Xen-users] creating domU from scratch

I'm assuming you're talking about paravirtualised domUs.

Some distributions support install in a PV domU; in this case, you need to
locate their install kernel and initrd from the CD and use those in the
configuration file to start the guest.

An easy way to install any distro for use in a domU is to boot the install CD
under QEmu and run through the install procedure, then just use that
installed image with the Xen configuration.

> I have used a pre-created images to start domU's,
> but if i want to create a domU from scratch(i have only the installation
> ISO) - what should i do?
> My idea is to do the following:
> 1) create the image file itself.
> 2) copy all the files from the location where i installed some distro(for
> example, hda4 - where fedora is installed) except the files inside /boot
> partition, to the image file.
> 3) create initrd and config file.

Something like this would probably work too.

Debian and (I think) Ubuntu can also be installed using a tool
called "debootstrap" which will set up an installation in a directory.  You
just need to mount the virtual disk you wish to install to and then point
them to it.  Debootstrap will compile and run on non-Debian distros.

Cheers,
Mark

Dave: Skateboards have wheels.
Mark: My wheel has a wheel!