RE: [Xen-users] Using the -xen kernel rather than -xen0/U

  • To: <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: "Nicolai Lang" <nicolai@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 4 Apr 2007 08:54:37 +0200
  • Delivery-date: Wed, 04 Apr 2007 03:45:53 -0700

Hi all,

Just installed my first server for real - an amd64 X2 AM2 3000+, which will
be going into production soon.

> Not really; the -xen0 or -xen kernels are both suitable to
> run in both dom0 and domU.  Unless you need a particular
> kernel version or want to run a distro-provided kernel then
> I'd suggest that you just use the dom0 kernel (and modules)
> in all domains.

I am concerned about memory use, are the combined -xen kernel not using more
memory than an optimized? What is the overhead by using the universal module
kernel compared to compile a static kernel with all needed parts compiled
directly in?

Thank you very much in advance, for you comments.

Best regards
Nicolai