RE: [Xen-users] Using the -xen kernel rather than -xen0/U

  • To: "Nicolai Lang" <nicolai@xxxxxxxxxx>, xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: "Petersson, Mats" <Mats.Petersson@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 5 Apr 2007 13:15:20 +0200
  • Delivery-date: Thu, 05 Apr 2007 04:15:31 -0700

At present (3.0.4), para-virtual guests will need to run at the same
"bitness" as the Dom0, so you either use 64-bit all over, or 32-bit.

HVM (fully virtualized) guests can be whatever bitness is less or equal
to Dom0.

There is little difference between running 32 and 64-bit (most of it is
marginally to the advantage of 64-bit, but unless you really need huge
amounts of memory, I'd say you wouldn't be able to tell any difference
other than by specific benchmarks).

> 2)
> I choose the processor because it was on stock, reasonably priced, and
> because it should support HVM
> (http://wiki.xensource.com/xenwiki/HVM_Compatible_Processors),
>  but I do not
> see any HVM messages during boot, nor do CPUinfo flags
> contain the vmx flag.
>
> The processor is an AMD Athlon 64 X2 - 3800+ 2.0GHz BOX - AM2 EE, the
> motheboard an Asus M2N-E.

/proc/cpuinfo should contain "svm" (but not "vmx", as that's the Intel
name for their corresponding technology). ["svm" is in your
cpuinfo.txt].

All AM2 processors are HVM compatible except if they are called
"Sempron".

--
Mats