RE: [Xen-users] Some Doubts regarding HVM

  • To: "trilok nuwal" <tc.nuwal@xxxxxxxxx>, "Xen list" <Xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: "Petersson, Mats" <Mats.Petersson@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2007 11:22:57 +0200
  • Delivery-date: Thu, 12 Apr 2007 02:22:04 -0700

That is correct. The reason for this is that the hardware emulation
layer doesn't know anything about partitions. You can of course make a
partition into a disk if you want, such as:
'phy:/dev/sdb2,hdb,w'

But the hardware (or io) emulation doesn't have a clue what a partition
is, because partitions are just a way for the OS to partition a disk
into sections (it used to be really important because disks could only
have a certain size [x number of sectors, blocks or clusters, whichever
the file-system utilized], but nowadays, with 64-bit pointers in
file-systems, it's pretty much just a organizational tool to keep
different types of data separated from each other).

> If this then we cant install a OS on a partition and start a
> HVM domain.

That would be correct.

> My problem is that on my laptop i have a single hard disk, so
> i can't install a Guest OS on this, because this require a
> full disk to be exported to guest OS.

Get a USB-disk, perhaps?

I don't believe Xen is meant to solve this problem, really. [And I have
some doubt that you'd actually be successful in running a native OS and
the same OS as guest-OS, but that's a different story].

--
Mats