Re: [Xen-users] gaming in a windows domU?

On Fr, Apr 13, 2007 at 11:53:05 +0200, Petersson, Mats wrote:

> [...]

Mats, thank you for the answer.

As far as I know the problem will be eliminated
when as soon as IOMMU will be available.
Does IOMMU really solve the problem?

Question related to previous one:
HVM Windows Domains have poor IO-performance due to
necessity of usage of qemu device model (and correspondent drivers).
Will the problem be eliminated (or alleviated at least)
with appearance of the IOMMU?

And question #3:
How is Intel virtualization technology [1] related with IOMMU?

[1] http://www.intel.com/technology/itj/2006/v10i3/2-io/1-abstract.htm

> If we simplify things[1] to make it easy to explain: Dom0 uses 0..256MB,
> HVM DomU uses 256..512MB, but thinks it got memory from 0..256MB. DomU
> tells the hardware that there is some data at 0x100000 (1MB), but we
> should really add 256MB to that address. So the hardware will use
> something that lives at 1MB in the Dom0 instead. Most likely, this will
> just lead to complete garbage being sent to the hardware, which isn't so
> bad. If it happens to be something that actually works with the hardware
> it may send your list of passwords to a random address on the internet
> or some such!
>
> [1] In reality, each 4KB of guest memory could come from any 4K section
> of the machines memory, so it's not as simple as just adding an offset -
> but that's just a slight complication on top of the fact that DomU
> doesn't actually know that it's memory isn't where it thinks it is.
>
> --
> Mats

> > --
> > WBR, i.m.chubin