RE: [Xen-users] Mounting RHEL 4 virtual machine disks (dd/mount -oloop)

  • To: "Luke S. Crawford" <lsc@xxxxxxxxx>
  • From: "Kraska, Joe A \(US SSA\)" <joe.kraska@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2007 16:29:27 -0700
  • Cc: Marcin Owsiany <marcin@xxxxxxxxxx>, xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Delivery-date: Tue, 17 Apr 2007 16:28:24 -0700

> > [root@blade15 xen-rh64-gold]# mount -o loop -t ext3 hda mnt
> > mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/loop0,
>
> you want
>
> losetup /dev/loop1 /dev/hda
>
> then kpartx -av /dev/loop1
>
> (the partitions are in /dev/mapper/loop1px)
>
> then mount /dev/mapper/loop1p2 /mnt
>
> or something like that

> > The vm installed into "had" is configured with the default
> > partitioning mechanism, which involves LVM.
>
> LVM is different... if the above doesn't work, try running
vgscan/lvscan
> after you losetup.

Mkay. Maybe it wasn't obvious but "hda" in the above mount command is
the
Xen image file. It was the file made with dd, into which RHEL44 was
installed
using Qemu. I'm a bit confused in your instructions, because you seem to
be
forwarding me to a /dev/hda, and don't reference my file based image at
all.
That I can see.

Sorry about my confusion. My sojourn into Xen has me learning basic
low level linux commands that other gurus take for granted. :)

Joe.