Re: [Xen-users] Managing DomU partitions in XEN+LVM systems?

  • To: "xen ml" <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: Derek <xen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2007 22:15:41 -0600
  • Delivery-date: Thu, 19 Apr 2007 21:14:27 -0700

On 4/19/07, Jordi Segues <jordisd.mailing@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> but for me the problem is that fdisk can't enlarge a partition! It
> says you must delete it and then recreate it, but if I do this I lose
> all my 2003 system.

When I did it, I just used fdisk to delete the partition, and then to re-create a new one of the larger size.  The new one must start at the exact same cylinder as the old one did, but can have more cylinders.  It's a little scary because of the messages about data loss, but it worked fine for me.

To the best of my knowledge, fdisk doesn't touch any other part of the disk other than the partition table, so provided the new partition is larger than the old, and begins at the same position as the old, everything works fine.

One precaution I took -- and I recommend you do the same.  I first backed up the entire logical volume, by creating another one of the same size and using dd to copy the content.  That way, if did anything stupid and broke my windows filesystem, I'd have been able to recreate it.

Derek.