Re: [Xen-users] can't mount vfat fs on lvm created by winxp guest

On 13:10 Sat 28 Apr     , Tim Post wrote:
> On Fri, 2007-04-27 at 23:02 +0200, Yann Boutin wrote:
> > Greetings,
> > I've had no success with mounting a vfat file system created by a
> > Windows XP guest on a lvm volume.
> >
> > # mount -t vfat /dev/vg1/win1 /mnt/
>
> This is also a common problem when sharing pen drives and similar
> between Windows and GNU/Linux (or any other odd fat bd)
>
> try mount -t vfat -o umask=000 /dev/vg1/win1 /mnt
>
> If you go to the mount man page, it explains some things that can
> 'break' vfat, such as everything by default being mounted with the umask
> of the current process.
>
> see man 8 mount and look for "Mount options for fat"
>
> You may need to play with this a bit. The above gets my pen drive
> mounted correctly, may work for you.
>
> This is really a GNU/Linux admin issue, not so much Xen but I figured
> I'd chirp in anyway since it is kinda cryptic.

Ok I've tryed all things working for usb pen problems with no effect. So
I investigate further:

creating a new volume
# lvcreate -n win3 -L6G vg1

making a vfat fs on it
# mkfs.vfat /dev/vg1/win3

mounting it (successfully)
# mount -v -t vfat /dev/vg1/win3 /mnt/
/dev/mapper/vg1-win3 on /mnt type vfat (rw)

launching Windows XP guest installation
# xm create /etc/xen/winxp3.hvm

At this point Windows Xp installer can't detect the partition type and
report it as 'unknown'

So Ok, let Windows installer (re)format it with fat32 fs and go ahead
to finish installation. When installation ended I stop Windows
Guest properly and try again to mount the guest vfat fs and, the same error
appends ...

# mount -t vfat /dev/vg1/win3 /mnt/
mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/vg1/win3,
       missing codepage or other error
       dmesg | tail  or so

Don't you thing the problem comes from the manner Windows XP guest handles lvm
volumes rather than from any missing codepage or file mode option when mounting
?

Anyone can report succes with mounting 'on lvm' vfat guest filesystem ?

Thanks !

        Yann.