Re: [Xen-users] Xeon processor and no VT?

On Sun, 2007-04-29 at 21:31 -0700, Suman K wrote:
> I have xen working on Intel(R) Xeon(TM) CPU 3.40GHz, its a HP xw6200
> workstation. I thought all the Xeon processor come with VT. Here is a link
>  http://www.intel.com/products/processor_number/chart/xeon.htm
> I search numerous pages from Intel and everything says Xeon processor
> supports VT. This machine seem to have a E7525 chipset.
> Still, xen complains about no VT. I am just so confused at this point and
> trying to find out if I have the wrong processor or missing something. I
> search all BIOS, it does have an option for VT enable disable but does have
> HT.
>
> I would really appreciate any ideas or experience in this regard?
>
> Thanks,

I don't know if it is the case for your machine, but I believe certain
HP laptops have VT permanently disabled by the BIOS (with no possibility
of enabling it). The reason for it being disabled is that it is
untested, and not supported, by HP. In some cases, a BIOS update may be
available that enables VT on these machines. Perhaps it would be worth
checking with HP on the status of VT on your particular model.

--
Mario Becroft <mb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>