Re: [Xen-users] Dom0 versus DomU and sata DVD drives

On Thu, 2007-05-03 at 12:03 -0700, Stephen Carville wrote:
> I have couple question about using Xen in the "real" world.
>
> My test box is a Dell Optiplex 745 with a Core 2 processor and 4 G of
> RAM.  I am using 64 bit Centos 5 with Xen 3.03.  Right now I have it
> set up so Dom0 is my working domain and I add other DomU for whatever
> tests i need to do.  From what I've read here, this is not the best
> way to do things.
>
> So my first question is, if I do an install with a minimal Dom0 and
> use a DomU for my working domain, can I set it up so that DomU is what
> I log on to from runlevel 5?  Is that really the best way to setup a
> workstation?

I work from my GNU/Linux desktop in dom-0 with KDE, I use Ubuntu. My
purposes are the same, having a handy sandbox in the same place I'm
making things.

Typically, I don't set a max for dom-0, I just let dom-0 balloon to make
way for the guests. This way I only 'shrink' when I need to.

If its your desktop, its just too convenient not to do (imho).

In production, dom-0 is fort knox. Nothing runs there but xen and
management tools.

You can specify runlevels, and many other things to PV guests. In
your /etc/xen directory are a bunch of really useful samples that show
these via working example.

--Tim