Re: [Xen-users] Using lvm for domUs

  • To: Goswin von Brederlow <brederlo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: Nico Kadel-Garcia <nkadel@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 04 May 2007 11:10:20 +0100
  • Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Tijl Van den Broeck <subspawn@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Delivery-date: Fri, 04 May 2007 03:06:55 -0700

Goswin von Brederlow wrote:
If you have enough disks/partitions you can make one VG per domU and
share that for dom0 and domU using cluster lvm (clvm) to keep them in
sync. Instead of real disks/partitions you can run lvm in dom0, create
a LV per domU and run lvm on it again. But then you have to
specifically include the first lvm LVs in lvm.conf and run vgscan
twice. I think that should work.
Have you tried this? For various reasons, I'm looking at using iscsi or clvm for having commong storage and permitting live migrations, and for snapshotting the LVM's for backup purposes. (LVM snapshots and rsnapshot, a combination made in heaven!)
We use lvm inside LVs here on a HA cluster but the inside lvm is
exclusively for the domU. No sharing with dom0. The dom0 lvm is so we
can resize and create/destroy LVs on the fly, the inside lvm is
because all our servers are setup the same.
Unfortunately for me, my Dom0 hardware does not have the CPU's for full virtualization, so access to backup media has to go through Dom0 or be pushed over the network. And the network or Xen usage seems to double my backup timef, so I *need* Dom0 to be able to access the hard drive contents of DomU.