Re: [Xen-users] Xen Linux Kernel Patching

  • To: Jürgen Franz <Joey.F@xxxxxxx>
  • From: Nico Kadel-Garcia <nkadel@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 04 May 2007 15:27:41 +0100
  • Cc: "'xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Delivery-date: Fri, 04 May 2007 07:24:17 -0700

Jürgen Franz wrote:
Hello Xen Users!

I wanted to ask you something about custom xen kernel-creation and would be
grateful for your answers. As I like to use current vanilla releases of the
linux kernel and Xen officially uses the 2.6.16 series, but there are some more
recent distirbution-kernels with Xen-support around (e.g. Debian, Fedora 7...)
I was wondering whether integrating Xen in a newer kernel could be very
difficult.

Yet I found almost nothing in Xen Docs about that topic, few around around the web
(missed something like a "Xen Kernel Patching HOWTO") and had no success trying
it on my own. So, is there an 'easy' way of creating a current, customized, xen-dom0
linux-kernel - without completely rewriting the official xen kernel patches (which seem
not to work with newer versions)?
It's non-trivial: the Xen patches need to be tuned for specific kernels and specific versions of Xen, although this is becoming more main-stream all the time.

Take a look at the source and patches for the Xen packages under Debian or RedHat or even www.xensource.com or whatever to see how the packagers did it.