Re: [Xen-users] Memory squeeze in netback driver?

On Tue, May 08, 2007, Mark Williamson wrote:
> > I've not tried setting dom0_min_mem, this is also a kernel param?
> > Any suggestions on what that size should be?
>
> It's a setting in /etc/xen/xend-config.sxp.  Set it to something reasonable
> make sure that dom0 doesn't get ballooned down too far.  I think for a
> production machine a sensible measure would be to set dom0-min-mem=0 to
> disable auto-ballooning entirely - then set dom0_mem on the Xen command line.
>
> On my test box where I run up to about 3-4 domUs, not heavily loaded, I have
> been running with dom0-min-mem=196M and dom0_mem=256M.  I should probably
> just disable ballooning altogether on this machine.
>
> A static dom0 memory allocation should really be just fine on a server, the
> auto-ballooning is more useful for desktop use or for playing around and
> getting the feel of things without having to reconfigure manually all the
> time.

I've tried running a couple of heavy network servers at 256meg dom0 but I keep
getting memory squeeze errors. I wouldn't mind it -that- much if it didn't
then just lock up all domU networking. I can trigger it pretty readily by
running rsync's from a domU to an external server at ~50-100mbit.

I wonder how hard it'd be to fix that..

Adrian