[Xen-users] FreeBSD on Xen

  • To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: Craig Russell <crussell_1969@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 9 May 2007 10:04:09 -0700 (PDT)
  • Delivery-date: Wed, 09 May 2007 10:09:11 -0700

I am trying to get a FreeBSD virtual server running on
the free version of commercial xen.  I'm currently
trying the how-to at
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/virtualization-guest.html
and Kip Macy's image, kernel, and config file.

Everything goes great (at least I get the output that
I'd expect) until I go to do the xm create and than it
simply dies with the simple error "Error: Building
domain failed: ostype=linux dom=7 err=" and I'm back
to the command line.  My config file is attached
below.  I am very new to xen and I have been playing
around with creating guest domains with the templates
provided but am definitely a newbie.

I am sure I'm missing something fairly simple but
Googling for the error message doesn't give me
anything back.  Any direction is appreciated.

Thank you,

Craig Russell

#  -*- mode: python; -*-
#============================================================================
# Python configuration setup for 'xm create'.
# This script sets the parameters used when a domain
is created using 'xm create'.
# You use a separate script for each domain you want
to create, or
# you can set the parameters for the domain on the xm
command line.
#============================================================================

#----------------------------------------------------------------------------
# Kernel image file.
kernel = "/opt/kernel-current"

# Optional ramdisk.
#ramdisk = "/boot/initrd.gz"

# The domain build function. Default is 'linux'.
#builder='linux'

# Initial memory allocation (in megabytes) for the new
domain.
memory = 256

# A name for your domain. All domains must have
different names.
name = "bsdexample"

# List of which CPUS this domain is allowed to use,
default Xen picks
#cpus = ""         # leave to Xen to pick
#cpus = "0"        # all vcpus run on CPU0
#cpus = "0-3,5,^1" # run on cpus 0,2,3,5

# Number of Virtual CPUS to use, default is 1
#vcpus = 1

#----------------------------------------------------------------------------
# Define network interfaces.

# By default, no network interfaces are configured.
You may have one created
# with sensible defaults using an empty vif clause:
#
# vif = [ '' ]
#
# or optionally override backend, bridge, ip, mac,
script, type, or vifname:
#
# vif = [ 'mac=00:16:3e:00:00:11, bridge=xenbr0' ]
#
# or more than one interface may be configured:
#
# vif = [ '', 'bridge=xenbr1' ]

vif = [ '' ]

#----------------------------------------------------------------------------
#----------------------------------------------------------------------------
# Define the disk devices you want the domain to have
access to, and
# what you want them accessible as.
# Each disk entry is of the form phy:UNAME,DEV,MODE
# where UNAME is the device, DEV is the device name
the domain will see,
# and MODE is r for read-only, w for read-write.

#disk = [ 'phy:hda1,hda1,w' ]
disk = [ 'file:/etc/xen/mdroot-7.0,hdc1,w' ]

#----------------------------------------------------------------------------
# Define to which TPM instance the user domain should
communicate.
# The vtpm entry is of the form
'instance=INSTANCE,backend=DOM'
# where INSTANCE indicates the instance number of the
TPM the VM
# should be talking to and DOM provides the domain
where the backend
# is located.
# Note that no two virtual machines should try to
connect to the same
# TPM instance. The handling of all TPM instances does
require
# some management effort in so far that VM
configration files (and thus
# a VM) should be associated with a TPM instance
throughout the lifetime
# of the VM / VM configuration file. The instance
number must be
# greater or equal to 1.
#vtpm = [ 'instance=1,backend=0' ]

#----------------------------------------------------------------------------
# Set the kernel command line for the new domain.
# You only need to define the IP parameters and
hostname if the domain's
# IP config doesn't, e.g. in ifcfg-eth0 or via DHCP.
# You can use 'extra' to set the runlevel and custom
environment
# variables used by custom rc scripts (e.g. VMID=,
usr= ).

# Set if you want dhcp to allocate the IP address.
#dhcp="dhcp"
# Set netmask.
#netmask=
# Set default gateway.
#gateway=
# Set the hostname.
#hostname= "vm%d" % vmid

# Set root device.
#root = "/dev/hda1 ro"

# Root device for nfs.
#root = "/dev/nfs"
# The nfs server.
#nfs_server = '169.254.1.0'
# Root directory on the nfs server.
#nfs_root   = '/full/path/to/root/directory'
#1 Sets runlevel 4.
#extra = "4"

#----------------------------------------------------------------------------
# Configure the behaviour when a domain exits.  There
are three 'reasons'
# for a domain to stop: poweroff, reboot, and crash.
For each of these you
# may specify:
#
#   "destroy",        meaning that the domain is
cleaned up as normal;
#   "restart",        meaning that a new domain is
started in place of the old
#                     one;
#   "preserve",       meaning that no clean-up is done
until the domain is
#                     manually destroyed (using xm
destroy, for example); or
#   "rename-restart", meaning that the old domain is
not cleaned up, but is
#                     renamed and a new domain started
in its place.
#
# The default is
#
#   on_poweroff = 'destroy'
#   on_reboot   = 'restart'
#   on_crash    = 'restart'
#
# For backwards compatibility we also support the
deprecated option restart
#
# restart = 'onreboot' means on_poweroff = 'destroy'
#                            on_reboot   = 'restart'
#                            on_crash    = 'destroy'
#
# restart = 'always'   means on_poweroff = 'restart'
#                            on_reboot   = 'restart'
#                            on_crash    = 'restart'
#
# restart = 'never'    means on_poweroff = 'destroy'
#                            on_reboot   = 'destroy'
#                            on_crash    = 'destroy'

#on_poweroff = 'destroy'
#on_reboot   = 'restart'
#on_crash    = 'restart'

on_crash    = 'preserve'
extra = "boot_verbose"
extra += ",boot_single"
extra += ",vfs.root.mountfrom=ufs:/dev/xbd769a"
extra += ",kern.hz=100"