Re: [Xen-users] Debian etch Xen: No display window.

Petersson, Mats wrote:

-----Original Message-----
From: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Didier Trosset
Sent: 14 May 2007 09:52
To: Xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] Debian etch Xen: No display window.

I am trying to setup Xen virtual servers using a Debian etch with the xen 3.0.3 provided in 32 bits mode. I am using full virtualization.

I managed to get things started using the configuration provided below. I was able to run the install (with boot="d"). I even managed to start the system afterwards, and it runs correctly.

But now I encounter a problem I already hit when running 64 bits kernels (I am running now 32 bits, as I was told xen support for 64 bits was much better since 3.0.4).

The xen domU starts, but it does not display the SDL window anymore.

It did it a few times, for installing the system for instance, with everything runnig perfectly OK, connecting to a network mirror for the install. It runs really well!

The only way for me to make it appear again is to remove the type=ioemu from the vif. But then the system does not recognize anymore the net card, which seems reasonable.

I think (but I'm guessing) that you can't specify an IP-address to a
IOEMU network card. This probably confuses QEMU, which is responsible
for getting the SDL/VNC window to appear. You may want to check the
/var/log/qemu.<pid>.log for the QEMU that is runnning the guest (doing
"ls -ltr /var/log/qemu*" will show the last one at the end of the list -
if you get a HUGE list, you may want to delete the older ones!)

If I don't specify the IP address in the vif line, the device vifN.0 is assigned an address 10.X.X.X, which is not what I want. But can I specify it the way I do?

Here's the content of qemu log:
(Note that I am using network-nat)

# more /var/log/xen/qemu-dm.5435.log
domid: 5
qemu: the number of cpus is 1
/etc/xen/scripts/qemu-ifup: could not launch network script
Could not initialize device 'tap'

It was very helpfull to me. Googling for it, I encountered the page
http://www.brandonking.net/blog/2007/02/xen-routed-network-shorewall-qemu.html
Which shows some troubles with networking that in turns point to
http://lists.xensource.com/archives/html/xen-users/2006-12/msg00448.html
Which is the same problem. I found that tunctl is a tool provided with user-mode-linux packages. And after running the command 'tunctl -t tap0' and commenting out the brctl line in qemu-ifup, the SDL window shows up again.

Now the network card is fonud by the domU, but it does not work. I cannot ping the dom0 from the domU, neither the other way round.

Also, I now got a tap1 interface showing up with ifconfig whenever my domU is started. But networking does not work.

And qemu log is now:
# more /var/log/xen/qemu-dm.10633.log
domid: 12
qemu: the number of cpus is 1
shared page at pfn:7fff, mfn: 305d5
buffered io page at pfn:7ffd, mfn: 305d7
False I/O request ... in-service already: 0, pvalid: 0, port: 0, data: 0, count: 0, size: 0
---------------------------------------
And google isn't very helpfull with it ...

brctl show does not show any bridge. Is this normal? (using vif-nat)
Do I have to configure tap1 in /etc/network/interfaces?

Still many questions indeed.
Trying to understand ...

Thanks for your help.
Didier

kernel = "hvmloader"
device_model = 'qemu-dm'
builder='hvm'

memory = 128
name = "xen008lnx"

disk = [ "phy:/dev/vg1/xen008-disk,ioemu:hda,w", "file:/root/debian-40r0-i386-netinst.iso,ioemu:hdc:cdrom,r" ]
boot = "c"

vif = [ "mac=00:16:3E:41:08:00, ip=192.168.65.8, type=ioemu" ]
dhcp = "off"
hostname = "xen008lnx.xxx.xxx"
ip = "192.168.65.8"
network = "192.168.65.0"