Re: [Xen-users] Debian etch Xen: No display window.

Petersson, Mats wrote:
The reason you can't use the vif-line in the configuration to specify
the IP-address is that the IP-address isn't part of the hardware
specification. Since the fully-virtualizaed domains are given only
information available at the hardware level, there is no way to forward
the IP-address to the guest. [If you have a real hardware network card,
you don't give it an IP-address, right? You either set it up to use dhcp
(or similar), or you give it an IP-address via some configuration within
the OS that controls the network card].
The reason it WORKS to give an IP-address to the guest in a para-virtual
setup, is that the guest is AWARE that we're playing god with the
hardware it deals with, and the controls within the virtual network
"frontend" can fetch this information itself. This is not the case for fully-virtual domains.

I understand this point perfectly. Thanks for the clear explanation.

Then you may be insterested in the fact that whenever I specify:
  vif = [ "mac=00:16:3E:41:08:00, ip=10.0.0.8, type=ioemu" ]
It ends up in ifconfig:
  vif17.0   Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr FE:FF:FF:FF:FF:FF
            inet addr:10.0.0.135  Bcast:0.0.0.0  Mask:255.255.255.255

And if I specify:
  vif = [ "mac=00:16:3E:41:08:00, type=ioemu" ]
It ends up in ifconfig:
  vif18.0   Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr FE:FF:FF:FF:FF:FF
            inet addr:10.0.18.128  Bcast:0.0.0.0  Mask:255.255.255.255

Note that the IP addresses of vif interfaces are not the same.

But I haven't managed to clean my mind up to know whether this is an important point or not. Is it possible that it influences the routing inside the dom0 so that networking is not working between dom0 and domU?

Furthermore, what is this tap1 interface for?

Didier

Unfortunately, I don't know enough about network setup to advice you on
your further questions. Perhaps someone else can do that.
--
Mats

--
Didier Trosset-Moreau