Re: [Xen-users] NetBSD as DomU in an Gentoo amd64bit host

Mark Williamson schrieb:
>>> kernel = "/boot/vmlinuz-2.6"
>>> #kernel = "/games/xen/netbsd/netbsd-INSTALL_XEN3_DOMU"
>>> memory = 128
>>> name = "netbsd"
>>> disk
>>> =['phy:/dev/sda1,0x03,w','file:/games/xen/netbsd/amd64cd-3.1.i
>>> so,0x04,r' ]
>>> #disk = [ 'tap:aio:/games/xen/netbsd/amd64cd-3.1.iso,0x04,r' ]
>>> vif = [ 'bridge=xenbr0' ]
>>> root = "/dev/sd0a ro"
>>>

>>> and i come to this
>>>
>>> Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on
>>> unknown-block(1,0)
>>>
>>> what is wrong?
>>>
>> This is because you're trying to boot Para-virtual Linux on a device
>> called "/dev/sd0a", which you haven't got according to your "disk=" line
>> (you have "0x03" and "0x04")...
>>
>> But that's got nothing to do with the netbsd, of course.
>>

> Juergen, what error do you get if you comment out the kernel
> = "/boot/vmlinuz-2.6" and uncomment the netbsd-INSTALL_XEN3_DOMU line?
>

>> Is that a NetBSD install CD? In that case, you'll need to use HVM (full
>> virtualization), which requires a processor with AMD-V (SVM) to start
>> off.
>>

> Actually, you don't need HVM in this case: the NetBSD install kernel image
> for
> Xen 3 can ferret around in the ISO filesystem using the paravirtualised VBD
> and extract all the necessary stuff.  I did it a few months ago - it's
> actually quite impressive that the install (more or less) Just Works like
> this.
>

>> You also need some modifications to the config file (look at
>> /etc/xen/xmexample.hvm for a base-config), and you probably want to add
>> ":cdrom" after "0x04" on your disk-line to make QEMU-DM aware of it
>> being a CDROM rather than a hard-disk.
>>

> I assume he's using hex numbers to identify NetBSD device nodes.  I'm not
> actually sure this is necessary, though - the howto I found didn't do this.
> I think the netbsd port *might* just use the ordering of devices in the
> disks= list to identify what device they are, not the VBD id number (I could
> be wrong here).
>
> Juergen: this should be doable, I've done it so I know it ought to work.
> Keep
> trying!
>
> Cheers,
> Mark

 Can you pass me the exact link?

i updated to Xen 3.0.4 and i get

Error: (2, 'Invalid kernel', "Kernel ELF architecture '3' does not match
Xen architecture '62' (x86_64)")

and with the Gentoo-kernel i get an Oops

BTW my eth0 interface doesnt come up by default and its in runlevel boot

Strange