RE: [Xen-users] SMP support in Windows domU

Hi Jordi,

As Mats said this is related to the windows HAL version. I want to only
Add that the best working solution could be made by Windows installation
procedure. The inhalator then on witch hardware it is working and use
proper HAL*.DLL. If run installer with vcpus set to 1 it will use HAL for
one processor machine. Depending that you switch apic and acpi it will be
Hal with apic support or not, but still only for single processor. So you
need run installer with at least 2 vcpus.

There is also possibility to upgrade HAL on already installed Windows
system. I found some howto on the network but I never make it working. So
the installer is best solution for me.

On my gentoo 2007 Dom0 system with XEN 3.0.4. I also notice some strange
behavior when I set vcpu to 4 (and more) the system is hanging when
booting (just before switching form splash screen to login screen) or its
run but it takes almost all cpu resources even it doing nothing. I also
notice that the quest system are had very poor IO performance (net and
disk).

It is good to notice that XEN 3.0.4 have support for SMP Windows Quests
(with this limitations on my machine I wrote), the version 3.0.3 don't
have it as well as 3.0.2...older I don't know I don used them. What about
3.0.5 (3.1) as well I don't know I hope they improve some performance and
stability with more than 2 vcpus. It will be god if the made support for
PV divers in HVM domains "from the box" as it is in XenSources commercial
(and Express) editions.

Best
--
ASEC S.A.