RE: [Xen-users] Upgrade Proceedure

[snip a ton of old stuff]
> The INSTALL script you mention works without the build directory in
> place? That's a bit.... odd.

Not at all. It just takes the files in the "dist" directory (which is a
copy of what's been produced in the individual build directories, e.g.
xen.gz, qemu-dm, vmlinuz, kernel modules, hvmloader, etc, etc), and
copies it out to wherever it goes. Have a look at "dist/install.sh".
It's not complicated, it essentially just copies the files from
"dist/install" to whatever destination you specify (defualt is "/").

> > If you're not familiar with it, I'd like to point out that
> there is a
> > INSTALL script in the distribution directory which can be used to
> > install the resulting product of the make (which is what I described
> > earlier in this thread).
> >
> I use Makefiles and RPM's to support full-blown package management,
> version management, conflict reports, etc., etc., etc. Writing all of
> that into an installer or uniinstaller script is quite a lot of work.
>
> I recognize that not every OS has this kind of package
> management, and
> prefer to build on the fly.

Great if you have the environment to build the RPM, but if you take the
xen-unstable.hg repo, it doesn't come with spec-files to make RPM's
[afaics].

Obviously, most distributions will use some sort of packagemanagement,
and that solves most of those problems.

--
Mats