Re: [Xen-users] How do I find out why Dom0 crashes on guest startup?

  • To: Schober Walter <Walter.Schober@xxxxxxxxx>
  • From: Nico Kadel-Garcia <nkadel@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 18 May 2007 11:47:02 +0100
  • Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Delivery-date: Fri, 18 May 2007 03:42:54 -0700

Schober Walter wrote:

Before Wednesday all run fine. Then I must have done something - I tried to get rid of those IPMI error messages on starting hpasm, installed the latest RPMs from HP website - but can't tell exactly when it started that the DomU startup crashed my Dom0.

Anyway … How can I find out now, what exactly causes my Dom0 to crash? Which logs would tell me that?

/var/log/messages: Sometimes xenbr changes into forwarding of tap0 before, sometimes not.
/var/log/xen/xend.log: The only thing that sounds strange:
[2007-05-18 11:56:58 xend 3475] DEBUG (XendDomain:153) number of vcpus to use is 0

Meanwhile: hp-OpenIMPI, hpasm, hprsm, cmanic removed, OpenIPMI removed.

Still, the Dom0 crashed (just reboots, no output on Display, SSH connection interrupted) on starting a DomU.

System: Centos 5 x86_64 @ HP DL360G5, latest yum update done.

Will attach more info on config, when needed.

Many thanks!
Walter

RHEL 5, and thus CentOS 5, both have auto-updates turned on by default with yum-updatesd. I consider this *insane*, since it will patch things without a chance to say "hmm, I'm busy today, let's not do that Xen kernel patch right now!".

Can you bring up the machine without Xen and check /var/log/rpmpkgs, created by /etc/cron.daily/rpm, to check the software you've installed?