Re: [Xen-users] kexec into xen

> I have a question: Is it possible to kexec into a xen vmm from a non-xen
> kernel? In my vision it would be interesting to boot from a generic
> linux installer, then analyze the hardware and boot into a suitable xen
> kernel, that loads a dom0 linux kernel.

Yes, that should be doable.  Tim Deegan wrote a patch that allowed kexec to
boot multiboot images like Xen.  I believe it's been in the upstream kexec
tools for quite a while.  You specify Xen as the kernel, followed by XenLinux
as a module and (optionally) an initrd (as another module).

> Do you know anybody interested in this?

What sort of applications were you thinking of?  Selecting between 32-bit, PAE
and 64-bit perhaps?

Within one architecture / paging mode it's possible to use the normal Linux
strategy of including a "standard" Xen image and then a dom0 Linux kernel
with *lots* of modules for all the possible hardware.

Cheers,
Mark

Dave: Skateboards have wheels.
Mark: My wheel has a wheel!