Re: [Xen-users] snapshot - backup for xen vm's

  • To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: Ralf Schenk <rs@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 19 May 2007 19:12:04 +0200
  • Delivery-date: Sat, 19 May 2007 10:10:55 -0700

it-news (Josef Lahmer) schrieb:
> dear list,
>
> is there a way to make a lvm-snapshot of an running xen-vm to implement a
> function like "snapshot-backup"?

- Connect to mysql of VM and issue "FLUSH TABLES WITH READ LOCK;FLUSH LOGS"
> #) make snapshot
- Connect to mysql of VM and issue "UNLOCK tables"
> #) mount snapshot
> #) copy files
> #) umount snapshot
> #) remove snapshot
>
> eg (http://tldp.org/HOWTO/LVM-HOWTO/snapshots_backup.html)
>
> regards
> josy
>
> interessting: How to mount a XenVM filesystem on XenServer Host:
> http://kb.xensource.com/entry.jspa?categoryID=14&externalID=162

Hello !

I do this every day. I added two points to your plan which I do with a
small perl script to get consistent Backups of my mysql Databases. I
also create/destroy the snapshot via this skript and mount the snapshot
volume. If you are interested I can send it via Mail.

For the backups I backup the mounted snapshot of the VM via dirvish
(http://dirvish.org) to another Server. I do this also via VPN with
different machines.

In my dirvish configuration I have my perl skript as "pre-client" and
"post-client" skript which get started via ssh and key Authentication.

Bye

Ralf Schenk
fon (02 41) 9 91 21-0
fax (02 41) 9 91 21-59
rs@xxxxxxxxxx

Databay AG
Hüttenstraße 7
D-52068 Aachen
www.databay.de

Vorstand: Jens Conze, Ralf Schenk, Aresch Yavari
Aufsichtsratvorsitzender: Ansgar Vögeli

Sitz/Amtsgericht Aachen
HRB:8437
USt-IdNr.: DE 210844202