Re: [Xen-users] Networking problems

Didier Trosset wrote:
> Michel Drescher wrote:
>> Dear Xen wranglers,
>>
>> I have the following problem:
>>
>> ---- 8< ----
>>
>> However, and this is the downside, the VM brings up only the loopback
>> device. The VM exports the virtual eth0 as RTL8139, but trying to
>> bring up
>> eth0 manually results in the following error:
>>
>> ---------- SNIP ---------- SNIP ---------- SNIP ---------- SNIP
>> ----------
>> mdrescher@baseline-vm:~$ sudo ifup eth0
>> Password:
>> eth0: ERROR while getting interface flags: No such device
>> SIOCSIFADDR: No such device
>> eth0: ERROR while getting interface flags: No such device
>> SIOCSIFNETMASK: No such device
>> eth0: ERROR while getting interface flags: No such device
>> Failed to bring up eth0.
>> ---------- SNIP ---------- SNIP ---------- SNIP ---------- SNIP
>> ----------
>>
>> Unfortunately, as I don't have network and my vncViewer does'nt capture
>> screens, I have to describe the dmesg output of domU:
>>
>> According to the dmesg output, the RTL8139too Fast Ethernet driver
>> v0.9.28
>> is loaded, which detects an "enhanced" 8139C+ chip (?) so it will use the
>> 8139cp driver for improved performance (well, well...)
>> Later, the driver says "unknown chip version, assuming RTL-8139"
>>
>> Can you help me out getting the following issues resolved?
>> a) Getting networking up (obviously) using the real Tigon3 driver or
>> something emulating
>> b) When booting domU from the mini.iso, networking went just fine, but
>> why?
>
> You have to specify the mac address in the vif=... line of the domU
> config file. As you don't, the mac address is asigned a new random mac
> on each boot. This is the reason why the network works correctly during
> the install, but fails after the reboot: the system doesn't know about
> this *new* network device.

Alright, this sounds logical, but ...

> You should be able to know the mac you have been assigned during the
> install by looking in the file /etc/udev/rules.d/z25_persistent-net.rules

... while I have the directory "/etc/udev/rules.d/", I do *not* have the
file "25-persistent-net.rules". :-(

I tried other rules I found in this directory, but none seem even remotely
related to the network... :-/

Do I have to reinstall domU? Hopefully not...

Cheers,
Michel