Re: [Xen-users] amd processors + virtualisation

Petersson, Mats wrote:
how can I tell in /proc/cpuinfo weather my amd processor can do hardware assisted vitalisation

"cat /proc/cpuinfo|grep svm" should give you a line of "flags"
containing "svm" if your processor has AMD-V (aka SVM).
The other pretty easy way is to tell from the type of memory the
motherboard uses. If it's got DDR2 memories, then it's got AMD-V with
one exception: processors called "Sempron" don't have AMD-V, but all
others do (Athlon, Opteron, Turion).

I vaguely remember back when I was setting up Xen 3.0.2 on a Gentoo box (in mid-2006), that the "svm" flag didn't show up in that list until I had compiled in support for HVM (i.e. adding in Xen). Now, I was running a custom kernel on the Gentoo box at that point in time, with the bare minimum of built-in options. So it was likely an error on my part that cause the "svm" flag to be hidden.

On the newer CentOS5 boxes using AM2 Athlon64 X2 and SocketF Opteron CPUs, the default CentOS5 kernel does allow the "svm" flag to peek through. And I have not installed virtualization support on this box (yet).