[Xen-users] Maximum number of vifs per server

  • To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: "Jeff Lane" <sundowner225@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 29 May 2007 13:56:00 -0400
  • Delivery-date: Tue, 29 May 2007 10:55:10 -0700

I am trying to find out if there is an absolute maximum number of vifs
per Xen server.  Anyone know???

Basically, I have a machine running SuSE enterprise 10 and am trying
to reach 128 DomUs on that server (it's a big machine, has plenty of
resources for RAM and storage) but once I hit 80 vifs, the domUs stop
booting and I get the "hotplug scripts not working" message.

So, I guess I actually have a few questions that I have not been able
to locate answers to:

1: Is 80 vifs the max, or is that a bridge limit?

2: Does Xen automagically allocate vifs to any available bridge, or
does it always allocate vifs to xenbr0 unless you specifically point
each domU interface to a particular bridge?

3: If 80 vifs is not the absolute max, is there a
parameter/switch/variable that can be set to allow up to 128 vifs on a
Xen server??

Thanks a lot!

Jeff

--
                     www.jefflane.org

The internet has no government, no constitution, no laws, no
rights, no police, no courts.  Don't talk about fairness or
innocence, and don't talk about what should be done.  Instead,
talk about what is being done and what will be done by the
amorphous unreachable undefinable blob called "the internet
user base." -Paul Vixie