Re: [Xen-users] Xen Compared

Yo

> Can someone explain the differences between Xen and Virtuozzo/OpenVZ.
> What are the pros/cons of each?

I work on Xen, and I get paid by XenSource for some stuff, so feel free to
treat me as a bit biased ;-)  I don't know so much about OpenVZ and Virtuozzo
but I'll have a go...

Xen

Pros:
- fast performance for paravirtualised VMs
- can run fully virtualised VMs (e.g. Windows)
- mix multiple operating systems on the same system
- can do live migration
- fairly strict partitioning of resources
- each guest has its own kernel - kernel exploits don't allow a guest to break
out of its container.  Guests can run custom kernel code if necessary.
- supported by some distros (RHEL / CentOS 5 have out of the box support, for
instance)

Cons:
- can be fiddly to install and manage - particularly if your distro doesn't
have (good) support
- binary-only drivers may not work straightforwardly (if at all)
- "heavyweight" virtual machines, use a bit more resources, lower performance
than "native" execution (usually not much lower, depending on the workload)
- OS support for paravirt mode is a bit patchy (Linux 2.6 support is good,
NetBSD runs on 32-bit Xen, although I don't know if it runs on PAE.  Ditto
Plan 9.  FreeBSD port stalled)

OpenVZ (and I guess Virtuozzo too, I don't know anything about it other than
it's based on OpenVZ)

Pros:
- fast performance - should be pretty much as fast as running without
virtualisation
- efficient resource usage - virtual machines memory allocations can be very
flexible, according to load
- easy to administer
- should be easier to get binary drivers working

(- I heard suspend / resume and live migration was in development a while back
but don't know the status)

Cons:
- less well supported by distros?
- lower resource isolation, a counterpoint to the more efficient utilisation
- kernel bugs seem "more likely" to allow a virtual machine to break out of
their container and compromise the whole host
- limited to Linux-on-Linux and same kernel version for all VMs

There are doubtless things I've forgotten or not thought of.  I think the take
home point is that they're both useful for different reasons.  I hope one day
to see distributions shipping with support for both forms of
virtualisation....  OpenVZ for lightweight partitioning, Xen for supporting
heavierweight virtual machines when they are needed.

For comparison, OpenVZ is rather like Solaris Zones.  Sun are working on Xen
support even though they already have Zones - they're both useful in
different ways.

Cheers,
Mark

Dave: Skateboards have wheels.