RE: [Xen-users] Still having problems with xen guest boot

  • To: "Octavian Teodorescu" <octav@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: "Petersson, Mats" <Mats.Petersson@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 30 May 2007 16:27:33 +0200
  • Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Delivery-date: Wed, 30 May 2007 07:26:08 -0700

Yes, that's correct. I'm not particuarly familiar with volume groups, so
you may find better advice than mine from searching the Xen Users list
looking for how to set up volume groups - but as far as I understand it,
the volume group stuff is all hidden from the guest under normal
circumstances, and you should be able to mount the guest's filesystem in
your Dom0 in one way or another (assuming of course the guests
filesystem is supported in Dom0, which isn't necessary at all - they all
appear like block-devices from Dom0's standpoint, and DomU is
responsible for deciding what the content of the blocks actually mean,
e.g. directory structures, free-block-lists, etc, etc).

> Because I've tried earlier to mount it manually and received
> errors. Know
> it is not mounted when I'm doing xm create -c ns1. It just
> has an entry in
> /etc/fstab:
> /dev/VGvhosts/root.ns1 /vhosts/ns1             ext3
> defaults        0 0
> /dev/VGvhosts/swap.ns1 swap                    swap
> defaults        0 0

So this is the devices for your guest, listed in Dom0's fstab, yes? You
shouldn't need to have any information for the guest within Dom0 outside
of the guest configuration file. Although the case where the guest
filesystem is mounted to Dom0 should be detected by the create-script,
so that's unlikely to be your problem.

I'm not that familiar with the setup for para-virtual, so if I'm not
helping very directly, I'm sorry. I'm just trying to guide you as best
as I can. There are others who have more experience than me on setting
up paravirtual domains - anyone who thinks they have better advice,
please pipe in.

--
Mats