Re: [Xen-users] Buying a server for Xen

  • To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: Andy Smith <andy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 31 May 2007 00:48:24 +0000
  • Delivery-date: Wed, 30 May 2007 17:46:44 -0700

Hi,

On Wed, May 30, 2007 at 04:33:51PM -0500, ThoughtObject wrote:
>    I am looking for recommendations on a good server for Xen.  I will be
>    setting up Debian installs for many clients.  I understand about the
>    requirements of ram and disk space, but am a bit confused about what
>    cpu / motherboard to look for.  I will be using the latest version of
>    Xen and want something in the $1500 - $2000 range.  What is the best
>    Xen hardware for the money at the moment?

I have been very happy with supermicro's multi core xeon offerings.

http://supermicro.com/products/system/1U/?typ=X3000
http://supermicro.com/products/system/1U/?typ=X5000

I have only been using PV mode, though I see the option for hardware
virtualisation in the BIOS of these models.

Cheers,
Andy