[Xen-users] Re: Setup WinXP with HVM and qemu image

Mark, Martin and Igor,

Thank you for your quick responses. I got a little further already.

I converted my qcow diskfile to raw as suggested by Igor, I explicitly added a
device for the cdrom entry, I also removed the cdrom entry completely...

vncviewer localhost::5910 results in the same error message (connection
refused). I assume this means the vnc server isn't running ?

Then I noticed that qemu-dm.<pid>.log contains this:
domid: 5
qemu: the number of cpus is 1
shared page at pfn:1ffff, mfn: 18dc2
buffered io page at pfn:1fffd, mfn: 18dc4
xs_read(): vncpasswd get error.
       /vm/89bf518d-a688-d763-30ba-b3755f934861/vncpasswd.
Could not read keymap file: '/usr/share/xen/qemu/keymaps/be'

I searched for the missing keymap, and indeed, "be" isn't listed. "nl-be" is,
so I used that.

With these changes, the vnc console pops up by itself (Yay!), but after a very
short time only shows me a black screen. The top command shows that qemu-dm
is using 100% cpu on one of the cores. When I remove the keyboard parameter,
it's slightly different: the vnc console pops up, it detects my primary HD,
then prints "Booting from Hard Disk..." and then just sits there, again with
qemu-dm taking 100% cpu on one core.

qemu-dm.<pid>.log now contains:
domid: 7
qemu: the number of cpus is 1
shared page at pfn:1ffff, mfn: 1cdc2
buffered io page at pfn:1fffd, mfn: 1cdc4
xs_read(): vncpasswd get error.
       /vm/430a79b5-d4d5-92a7-82ef-b8be59f62749/vncpasswd.
char device redirected to /dev/pts/5
False I/O request ... in-service already: 0, pvalid: 0, port: 0, data: 0,
                                   count: 0, size: 0

xm list gives:
[root@localhost ~]# xm list
Name                                      ID Mem(MiB) VCPUs State   Time(s)
Domain-0                                   0     1488     2 r-----   1639.8
WindowsXP                                  7      517     1 ------      0.2
So there seems to be slightly more activity (0.2), although this time doesn't
increase anymore.

I have no idea how to proceed here. Any ideas ?

By the way: although I explicitly set vncdisplay, the vncserver continues to
look for an unused port, as ps shows:
root     12440     1  0 11:27 ?        00:00:00
        /usr/lib/xen/bin/xen-vncfb --unused --listen 0.0.0.0
                                   --domid 7 --title WindowsXP

I tried to add vncunused=0, but that resulted in an error message when
creating the domain:
Error: unsupported input type(s) for operand +: 'int' and 'str'.
But this doesn't really matter anymore for my setup, so I disabled it again.

Regards,

Geert

--
Kobalt W.I.T.