Re: [Xen-users] RHEL 4.5 and 5.0 question.

On Fri, Jun 01, 2007 at 04:48:26PM +0100, Mark Williamson wrote:
> > > I have a small question.
> > >
> > > With RHEL 5.0 and RHEL 4.5 Enterprise Server, the maximum of
> > > guests you
> > > can make is a total of 4. With the packages here:
> > >
> > > http://www.xensource.com/download/dl_31rhel5.html
> > > and this one:
> > > http://www.xensource.com/download/dl_31rhel4.html
> > >
> > > Is it posible with these packages to make more guests? I know with
> > > Advanced Server editions it's always posible, but I don't
> > > have the budget
> > > right now to buy the licence for that ;).
> >
> > The commercial and supported XenExpress, XenServer and XenEnterprise
> > products from XenSource has a license restricting the number of guests
> > and the size of memory.
> >
> > The open source version of Xen is limited only be memory size
> > limitations (if you have REALLY small guests, and using x86_32 version
> > of Xen, there is a limit in the size of the XEN heap which gets you an
> > "out of memory" at roughly 100 guests, but that can be modified if this
> > is really limitng your usage - although it does require a Xen hypervisor
> > recompile).
> >
> > The tar-balls that you've linked to above is the open-source version, so
> > they are not restricted by any license restriction, just the "physical"
> > limits that the system you run them on (and the Xen heap-size).
>
> You've still got the RHEL support issue though - what will RedHat themselves
> support you doing with the system if you install a 3rd party Xen setup?
> I'd be surprised if they'd support > 4 RHEL guests, unless you've paid for
> extra licenses.  I'm not sure exactly how their licensing terms would handle
> this.
>
> Does RHEL actually limit the number of guests you can create, or is it just
> that they'll only *support* up to 4 RHEL guests?  i.e. could you maybe create
> arbitrary numbers of CentOS or Ubuntu guests?

It is not a licensing or technical restriction in RHEL5. It is merely
a support issue. eg, if you're running 5 Xen guests & you call support
they'll ask you to shutdown one of your guests. With the RHEL Advanced
Platform there is no support limit on number of guests.  In all cases
the actual software is identical.

Regards,
Dan.