[Xen-users] hvm domU networking question (ipcop)

Hello,
I have xen 3.0.4 setup on one of my systems (gentoo) with a couple of
domU's.
I'm trying to setup an ipcop domU instance as a router/firewall for my
network.
Unfortunately ipcop uses a 2.4 kernel and as i understand it there are
no longer any 2.4 kernel patches for xen so i have to run it fully
virtualized.

My dom0 system has 3 nic cards.  Ideally i would hide 2 of them from
dom0 and pass the pci directly into my ipcop domU, but from what i read
this is not possible in a HVM.

I use a custom script (taken from a debian site i believe) to create 3
network bridges to pass to my domU's

dir=$(dirname "$0")
"$dir/network-bridge" "$@" vifnum=0 netdev=eth0 bridge=xenbr0
"$dir/network-bridge" "$@" vifnum=1 netdev=eth1 bridge=xenbr1
"$dir/network-bridge" "$@" vifnum=2 netdev=eth2 bridge=xenbr2

>From my experience, the network cards have to be up and active on dom0
in order to get the traffic to pass through in a domU.  Is this correct?

Basically i want to plug my cable modem into eth2, so the connection
would pass into the domU, but not have the network up on eth2 on dom0.
Is there anyway i can do this?

My networking knowledge is pretty weak.
Any help/advice is appreciated.