Re: [Xen-users] Best way to convert pv to hvm?

  • To: tim.post@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: Nico Kadel-Garcia <nkadel@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 05 Jun 2007 09:52:47 +0100
  • Cc: Tony Hoyle <tmh@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Delivery-date: Tue, 05 Jun 2007 01:51:27 -0700

Tim Post wrote:
On Tue, 2007-06-05 at 01:08 +0100, Tony Hoyle wrote:
Hi,

I'm trying to convert a number of PV domains to HVM domains. The snag is they're all in separate partitions, so I need to get a unified disk image.

My current plan is to mount the root of dom0 inside a booted domu (single user mode) and dd the entire contents of the virtual disk /dev/sda into a file on the dom0 disk. Is this likely to work? It's gonna be slow I know due to the dom0->domu->dom0 translation but is there perhaps a faster way? I presume xen itself creates a partition table somewhere and if I could get at that and do it entire thing in dom0... is this just a python script generating it at runtime or is it stored somewhere?

Tony

Why not setup the hvm guests to use nfsroots with a brand spanking new
unpartitioned image as well? Just fdisk, format, copy over adjust
config / boot paramaters and reboot.

This also lets you work the neuances you'll need to address in udev and
others when converting. Well , may need to. I have no idea what you have
or I'd make more distro specific suggestions.

Just setup the nfs server on dom-0. I don't use HVM much, but I don't
see any reason why that wouldn't work.

Seems like the easiest way to go for me. Its quite easy to break up var/
usr/ and the rest doing it like that.

Hmm. You're going to have fun and games with partitioning. If you're using a system that does network boot well, it may be feasible to pre-transfer your OS images into an appropriately built lfile image or partition, then use a "rescue" boot mode to boot ot the console form installation sources and successfully set up grub or something else.