Re: [Xen-users] Best way to convert pv to hvm?

I'll run through what I'm thinking once more, a little more coherently.

Step 1 - on the guest, install the packager's kernel, modules, grub,
configs, everything that you would find on a normal server.

Step 2 - Stop the guest.

Step 3 - Copy said kernel that you just installed to where you need it
to be. Boot the guest passing the nfsroot option so that it mounts the
PV's file system as / , while also passing a blank block device you can
slice up using the disk tools already present on the PV guest.

Step 4 - Boot, fix udev, copy everything over, take the nfsroot out of
the equation

Done. Just boot the VM now converted to HVM, nuke the PV guests file
system since its no longer being used.

Not sure why you would want to do that, but it seems to be the path of
least resistance unless of course your'e able to work with lomount /
fdisk / parted from dom-0 :)

Don't forget the swap space.

Best,
--Tim