Re: [Xen-users] Best way to convert pv to hvm?

Tim Post wrote:
Tony, this is probably best accomplished scripted utilizing lomount.
Actually the proper way to do it would be design an application to do it
and talk to ioctl directly.

That's a lot of effort!  It's not as if I'm going to be changing every week.

I was saying there's no elegant tool to do it, I didn't mean to imply
there isn't an elegant *way* to do it. The ideal version of what you
describe is a 'no brainer' to use and 'just works'.

It would be nice if qemu-img could do it, since conversion is its job.

Really all it needs is a way to take an image/lvm partition/whatever and treat
it as a drive, then it could be scripted in bash.  nbd almost does it.. it
creates a block device, but then doesn't scan the partition table (wonder how
hard that would be to add??).

Given that in either direction you shoot yourself in the foot, I still
can't see how it would be useful. PV guests don't do so well with sliced
VBD's. Likewise , as you said keeping a copy in sync to go to HVM isn't
very practical.

Well individual partitions is a xen-ism, so it's a reasonable tradeoff to me to
ditch that and gain the option of easiler mobility as the technologies change.

Tony