Re: [Xen-users] Xen a couple of questions

  • To: "Petersson, Mats" <Mats.Petersson@xxxxxxx>
  • From: Nico Kadel-Garcia <nkadel@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 06 Jun 2007 12:07:51 +0100
  • Cc: Octavian Teodorescu <octav@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Mark Williamson <mark.williamson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Delivery-date: Wed, 06 Jun 2007 04:06:26 -0700

Petersson, Mats wrote:
Yes, if you are loading dozens or more of guest kernels,
the size of the
actual kernel will matter. I'm not sure how much the
difference is tho'.
And if you call RedHat, Oracle, or McAfee for support with kernel related issues on RHEL 4, and tell them "I'm running a 2.6.18 kernel", they're going to have good reason to throw p their hands and say "revert to the published kernel, then we can help you". They might not: premium corporate support is pretty good, but I'd be tempted to do that as the support person.

Hmm, and you don't think a 2.6.9-XenU kernel will have the same "not
original kernel" status?
It's now available as part of the base RHEL 4.5 installation, which was released less than 2 months ago. It's superior to the xensource kernel in some ways, since it interacts wiell with the updated grub and allows the graceful use of pygrub without having to hand-edit your grub.conf files before rebooting, and it drops a "kernelcap" file in /etc/ld.so.conf.d/ to avoid the TLS emulation problems. Plus it has the documentation with it, which the xensource RPM does not and for which building from SRPM fails.

So it's a fairly good kernel. Too bad the network fails between Dom0 and DomU with it, which means I'm still sticking with the Xensource 3.1.0 kernels for my guests.