Re: [Xen-users] Xen + RHEL5 + 64/32 bit

On Wednesday 06 June 2007, Steven Timm wrote:
> > You'll require Xen 3.0.5 to do 32-on-64. Other than that, the process for
> > booting a 32-bit guest is same as for a 64-bit guest.
>
> When downloading Xen 3.1.0 tarballs, (=Xen 3.0.5?!) what is
> the difference between the 32-bit and the 32-bit PAE tarballs? Which
> one would I need for the clients if I were to do 32-bit clients on 64-bit
> host?

non-PAE can only address up to 4Gig of memory.  PAE can address up to about
16gig, useful for large memory systems.

A 32-bit PAE hypervisor only supports PAE paravirtualised guests (but it can
run both PAE and non-PAE HVM guests if HVM is available).  A 32-bit non-PAE
XEn can only run non-PAE guests in paravirt mode, and can run only non-PAE
guests in HVM mode.

32-on-64 requires PAE (this is because the pagetable format for PAE is very
closely related to that used by 64-bit x86)

> Which of the 32 bit versions (32bit PAE or without PAE) is the one
> that's in the RPM's?  I have used them before with 32 on 32 and they
> worked.

The RPMs tend to be PAE, but that's just an educated guess.

Cheers,
Mark

Dave: Skateboards have wheels.
Mark: My wheel has a wheel!