Re: [Xen-users] Building XEN with different config PROBLEM

  • To: "Steffen Heil" <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: "Chris Fanning" <christopher.fanning@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 7 Jun 2007 18:23:56 +0200
  • Cc: Philip Steeman <philip.steeman@xxxxxxx>, xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Delivery-date: Thu, 07 Jun 2007 09:22:38 -0700

After using your script the kernel compiled my options and I have booted xen3.1
I didn't delete /usr/src/xen-3.1.0-src
Now if I do
cd  /usr/src/xen-3.1.0-src
make linux-2.6-xen0-config CONFIGMODE=menuconfig

It reads the config I saved first time round
So I add a module or something and do
make linux-2.6-xen0-build

All is good.

So it seems the part that doesn't work as expected is the first time
config and compile.
but running /usr/src/steffen.sh is a work around.

Thanks.
Chris.

On 6/7/07, Steffen Heil <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi

> tar czf ../../dist/$1-xen3.1.tgz .
> creates a file in /usr/src/dist
> the ./install.sh will install on my local machine, right?

Yes. I transfer this $1-xen3.1.tgz files to differnet machines, extract them
and then do ./install.sh.
Each having it's own config folder used in the earlier lines.

> But, how can I patch the kernel (at a later date) and install
> the changes?

I don't know. I am not patching my kernels.
However if you just remove the rm -rf at the end, you should be able to do
so.

There is no magic in that script.
Except the knowledge, where to put the old configs...

> In your script you finish with a
> rm -rf xen-3.1.0-src

This is because I am building a range of kernels in a row and I prefer to
have clean directories.
That machine is dedicated for compiling, so I don't care if it takes 30
minutes or one hour.

> Does that sound right?

Some sound reasonable, some I don't know. I am only a beginner for self
compiled kernels...

As for creating different configs: I also have one directory (also extracted
from source), where I do
  make linux-2.6-xen0-config mode=menuconfig
and
  make linux-2.6-xenU-config mode=menuconfig
alternative locations. (My per-target config folder.)

Regards,
  Steffen