Re: [Xen-users] Xen 3.1 initrd (from tarball) and kernel panic

Thanks Dylan,

But it is on my dom0 not when I try to create a domU

I've done a fresh minimal install of centos5 and wanted xen3.1 rather than the 3.0.3 centos5 xen package
So I've downloaded the last xen tarball and did an install (cd dist/ then ./install.sh)

The kernel panic I have telling me it doesn't find my root partittion is when I reboot my box and so when it tries to start with the new xen kernel

Pascal

Dylan Martin a écrit :
You'll have to create the initrd.  I did this recently.  Here's the
steps that worked for me:

 - mount the domU filesystem on dom0
 - chroot to the domU filesystem
 - make sure /proc and /sys any any others are mounted in your domU
 - make sure /dev is populated
 - run mkinitrd

-Dylan

   Hello,

   I have installed xen3.1 from the tarball on a centos5 OS

   I have followed up these instructions :

 "$ cd dist
 $ su -
 # sh ./install.sh

 After installation, you will still need to modify your grub.conf to
 enable booting xen. Typically this means adding an entry like

 title My Distro with Xen (2.6.18-xen-3.1)
         root (hd0,0)
         kernel /xen-3.1.0.gz
         module /vmlinuz-2.6.18-xen ro root=/dev/<foo>
         module /initrd-2.6.18-xen

 ... obviously replacing <foo> with the name of your root device. "

   So I have added this in my grub.conf file

 title Centos5 with Xen (2.6.18-xen-3.1)
         root (hd0,0)
         kernel /xen-3.1.0.gz
         module /vmlinuz-2.6.18-xen ro root=/dev/sda2

   I didn't find any initrd-2.6.18-xen file in the /boot partition !

   Also when I reboot on the new kernel I have a kernel panic telling me that
   it doesn't find my root partition !
   My disk are under raid1 with a 9550sx 3ware card (driver is included from
   2.6.14)

   Also my root partition is /dev/sda2

   Sys. de fich.         Tail. Occ. Disp. %Occ. Monte sur
   /dev/sda2              19G  1,4G   17G   8% /
   /dev/sda1             244M   24M  207M  11% /boot
   tmpfs                 2,0G     0  2,0G   0% /dev/shm

   So do I have to create the  initrd-2.6.18-xen

   Any idea why it doesn't find my root partition ?

   Thanks

   Pascal