[Xen-users] Driver domain for Video Card

  • To: <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: "Jason Ward" <jward@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2007 10:33:33 -0500
  • Delivery-date: Fri, 15 Jun 2007 08:32:38 -0700

This is a theoretical question as I haven’t tried this yet but am looking for any direction.  I’m still trying to wrap my head around the XEN/Virtualization paradigm and what is/isn’t possible…

Is it possible to give the video card to DomU?  I know you can hide devices from Dom0 and others, but does this apply to the video card?

For one of my desktop boxes, it would be interesting to give a Windows DomU the video card then I could VNC or NX to my other guests.  I have two motivations for doing this:

1.      My video card (NVidia chipset) doesn’t seem to have drivers that support Xen (I believe there was an earlier message about that)

2.      I need to run at 2560x1600 which I haven’t been able to do without the proper drivers (I’m not very familiar with X so this may still be possible, I’m researching)

Any thoughts, ideas, or directions are appreciated!

- Jason