[Xen-users] Re: Xen guest domain freezes when prelink runs

On Thu, 21 Jun 2007 09:09:39 -0500, Richard Blocker <rblocker@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

>I'm new to running Xen, so maybe I missed something, but this is a
>puzzling problem that I didn't find on any of the Xen lists.
>
>I'm running the Xen 3.0.3 that comes with RedHat EL 5 (all stock, all up
>to date as of today) and I have a single guest domain HVM also running
>RHEL 5. Whenever the guest OS runs the initial prelink job defined in
>/etc/cron.daily (/usr/sbin/prelink -av -mR -f) the guest CPU pegs at
>100% and the system stops responding. It never resumes (at least not for
>12 hours). I can reboot the guest domain from the host machine, and it
>recovers fine, until prelink runs. I even ran cpu-burnin on the HVM to
>see if it was just the load, but it was fine while that ran.  If I run
>the prelink command manually, it immediately freezes.
>
>For the record, the hardware is a dual quad core Xeon system with 8GB of
>memory.  The guest HVM uses a single CPU with 512MB of memory allocated.
>
>Has anyone else seen this?

Hah!  Someone else with this...

I've got a trouble report into RH on this one.  It's not just prelink; I think
it's tied to rpm.  I can bring the system down doing a rpm -Va, or a sysreport
without the -norpm switch.  Also a dual quad core, with 16gb, and 1gb on the
guest.

--
tim boyer
tim@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx