[Xen-users] Success: How best to connect USB devices to a DOMU

  • To: "xen ml" <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: Derek <xen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2007 20:38:02 -0600
  • Delivery-date: Wed, 27 Jun 2007 19:36:02 -0700

Hi folks,

Following up on my earlier question to this mail list.  Not sure if
anyone else is interrested, but just in case.  I wanted a way to
access USB peripherals from my Windows DomU, using their native
windows drivers.

After some some unsuccessful experimenting with USB passthrough, PCI
passthrough, etc.  I bought the Belkin USB networked hub
(http://www.belkin.com/networkusbhub/).  Although the Belkin web site
says it's not yet available, it is.  I paid $99 at Circuit City.

I put the hub on my ethernet, pulled up a WinXP domU on my Xen
machine, and installed the Belkin driver software from the CD.  Works
great.  Now I can plug my Ipod, Ipaq, etc., into the hub, and they
appear like magic in the domU windows environment.

I have not yet tried all of my USB peripherals on it, but the ones
I've tried so far work flawlessly.

Derek.