RE: [Xen-users] Xen 3.1.0 initrd and kernel building

That's a good question, but should have an urge to rename a domain, there is
the comment "xm rename" - I didn't try it, but I assume it works, as I presume
it uses the same python-code that renames the domain during
save/restore/migrate.

I guess one reason might be if you are replacing a service of some sort with a
new VM, and you want to start the new one before you stop the old one. If you
combine that with a script that tracks a certain name or some such, I guess
you'd want to do something like:

# xm create my-new-service.cfg
# ... Wait some time ...
# xm shutdown service.cfg