Re: [Xen-users] Cannot start domains after FC6->F7 upgrade

Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:
Fair enough. If I may ask, why are you using FC7? That's leading edge if not bleeding edge. If you need stable servers, why not use RHEL (with direct RedHat support), or CentOS, or stay a version behind with your Fedora Core to let some other poor beggar hammer out the hard bits (such as those you just encountered)?

Again, with every new release we go through a small amount of pain (operative word: small) with Fedora. But then we also have a great deal of annoying bugs fixed and support for all new hardware. So there is a tradeoff. F7 really surprised us with its serious problems. That release was not ready for public consumption. Many, many problems. A blizzard of bugs have been opened so I think Fedora will probably do a little more testing next time and pay more attention to installation, libata, xen ABI, and kernel issues. It was probably a good lesson. I'm sure that once people heard about the problems that there was a big drop in downloads compared to FC6. We'll see what happens with F8 in Oct/Nov.

I mean, does even the FC7 kernel-smp kernel work on your hardware?
Well, FC{1,2,3,4,5,6} have all worked just fine on this hardware. So once they fix libata I'm sure everything else will be fine. libata seems to be the major problem.