Re: [Xen-users] Re: [Xen-devel] Re: Writing a tool for Shared Persistent Windows Boot Image

On Sun, Jul 01, 2007 at 01:28:56PM -0700, Andrew Warfield wrote:
> The problem with this approach is that you end up using two instances
> of whatever virtual disk code you want.  In the case of raw writes to
> an image file (tap:aio) this is more or less okay, except for the fact
> that qemu has a bad habit of buffering writes and so you can get stuck
> in a nasty late write race when you switch from emulated writes over
> to using pv drivers.

AFAIR, if the guest OS sends a flush request to the IDE device, then
QEMU should immediately be flushing the data to disk in the host - if
it doesn't, then this is already a potential data corrupter if either
the guest or host crashes because journaling fileystems rely on the
fact that when they ask for a journal flush it is not buffered in RAM.

I don't think a guest OS would ever be activating both the IDE and
paravirt drivers for a device though would it ? You either load IDE
drivers, or paravirt at any given time. If you've got a guest using
PV drivers, then the only point where the IDE interface would come
into play is for the initial BIOS boot process & that should be
read-only access.

> For non-raw writes this is worse, because most of the image file
> drivers cache metadata in memory and don't necessarily pick up changes
> to the image files when you switch from emulated to pv.  Also, the
> disparate implementations make me a bit nervous about headers exactly
> matching and so on.

Are you refering to the qcow file format headers here ? If blktap isn't
in compliance with the QEMU QCOW spec then that is a bug in itself which
needs fixing, because it is not good for portability of FS images.

> The intention of the phantom device is to try to keep things down to a
> single data path, and a single driver implementation.

Can you explain just how the phantom device is supposed to work, because
its not working in current code, even with the fix I mentioned blow & it
is not immediately clear to me what else needs fixing ...

Regards,
Dan.