Re: [Xen-users] CentOS 4.5 on SLES10SP1 no disk

Scott Serr wrote:
> I have a server running SLES10SP1 with Xen enabled.  I am able to fire
> off SLED10 installs inside Xen VMs just fine.
>
> I need to run (3) CentOS 4.5 VMs on it.
>
> CentOS kernel is not creating block devices for hd or iso image. any ideas?
>
> It doesn't seem to care if there is this line in my config file:
>
> disk = [ 'file:/export/home/CentOS-4.5-x86_64-binDVD.iso,hdc,r' ]

Hmm, you're trying to boot an ISO in paravirtual mode?

AFAIK this isn't so easy as one would assume when having used other
virtualization technologies before.

If at all, you can _maybe_ expect it work halfways nice with HVM.

But you might rather try bootstrapping centos with yum, as described
here:
http://faiwiki.informatik.uni-koeln.de/index.php/FAI_multi-distribution#bootstrapping_the_base_images__for_other_distributions
(this is tested on Debian, it might or might not work on SuSE, I heard
various reports on success and failure on other distributions).

Or, you might search the web - I used to know where I found this, but
have it not available now - there is a howto on how to start anaconda
inside a domU to make the installation, that should work with SuSE, too.

Take care to give enough(I don't know a number, a good guess is 256 if
on doubt) memory to the VM, otherwise Anaconda will likely hang in an
undefined state without any error message.

Henning