Re: [Xen-users] Howto install domU CentOS 5 directly on partition

  • To: kanour-xen <xen@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: Nico Kadel-Garcia <nkadel@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 28 Jul 2007 12:50:14 +0100
  • Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Delivery-date: Sat, 28 Jul 2007 04:47:35 -0700

kanour-xen wrote:
Hi.

I am new to CentOS (Debian user) and I am looking for way how to install CentOS 5 on domU in the way that I have it directly on dom0 LVM partition. If I install it with virtual-manager then the installation program takes that partition as a disk and then creates new partitions on it. I don't want it that way because I cannot then mount it from dom0.
Yes, you can. I agree that virt-install and virt-manager make some really bad default assumptions, and prefer the latest versions. But there are two underlying issues:

1: You can access the internal partitions from Dom0. Avoid the use of LVM in the DomU (which is a pointless thing to do in the first place there!), and use "kpartx -a -v /dev/Vol[whatver]/[Xen-image-partition]". Then mount the partitions from /dev/mapper/[Xen-image-partiion]1, etc.

2: The virt-install and virt-manager have the use of pygrub hard-coded into them, but *hardcoded*. This has advantages, but means you need grub to manage kernels in your DomU. And grub cannot deal with hard drive partitions like /dev/xdva1 that does not have a drive named /dev/xdva to go with it. Sad, but true, and an issue with grub itself for Xen implementations.

Is there some way how to install it directly on partition as for example in Debian with debootstrap?
There are plenty of OS image building tools, such as "mock" and those images at www.jailtime.org. You can save a good OS image as a tarball and build from that, if you like, but you'll have to work out the pygrub fun if you use that.