Re: [Xen-users] Show DomU login dialog instead of Dom0's

I tried this and it looks like as it will work but I have still some problems.
I boot my system like every day and run the commands provided:

X :1 vt1 &
vncviewer -display :1 -FullScreen localhost &

and everything works fine. I have my Windows running on tty1 and the Dom0 on tty7 as I wanted it. But using the same commands in /etc/rc.local the vncviewer says that he could not connect to the server. Sometimes after this error I cannot use my PC locally and I have to kill all running X servers via a ssh connection. Maybe the hvm is not running when the commands from rc.local are executed but in my mind it should because rc.local is the last script running during boot time.

The second thing which is not that important (maybe I can use another implementation of vnc) is the point curser shown in addition to the native cursor of Windows. The problem is that both cursors do not have the same speed so sometimes the X cursor stops at the border of the screen and the Windows cursor is elsewhere on the desktop. I tried DotWhenNoCursor=0 but it had no effect.

Greetings,
Markus

Mark Williamson schrieb:
is it possible to login into a DomU (Windows) without beeing logged in
in the Dom0 on the same PC where Xen runs? So I want to have something
like the Windows login screen on e. g. tty2 so I do not need to login
twice (first in Dom0 and the second one in the DomU).

You'd want to auto-start the Windows domU at boot time. You can do that by enabling the xendomains init script, and symlinking the config file for the Windows domU into /etc/xen/auto, I believe. I'm not sure what is done for Xend managed domains, though.

Then you'd want to alter the init scripts of dom0 to start a fullscreen X server running a VNC viewer (or direct framebuffer viewer) attached to the guest.

e.g. you could put something in /etc/rc.local like:

#!/bin/sh

X :1 &
vncviewer -display :1 -fullscreen localhost:<vncdisplay>

So that you'll start up a second X server and get a VNC viewer running on it attached to the domain. You might need to mess around with the options a bit because I made them up ;-)

Once you've done that you'll be able to switch between the ordinary TTYs, dom0's login screen (usually on X display :0, ctrl+alt+f7) and the domU's login screen via VNC.

How does that sound?

Once you've got that working you can always try more complicated setups. e.g. run a compositing manager like compiz and arrange to have a login screen for each domU be on a different side of the cube. You could even have a login screen for dom0 be on one side of the cube if you set it up right :-)

Cheers,
Mark

--
Dipl.-Inform. Med. Markus Mehrwald
Institut für Prozessrechentechnik, Automation und Robotik

Fon: +49 (721) 608-7113
Fax: +49 (721) 608-7141