RE: [Xen-users] Safe iSCSI & Live Migrations

> I'm currently playing with iSCSI and Xen (exporting individual DomU
> block devices as individual iSCSI disks) and wanted to find a safe way
> to use iSCSI. i.e. I want to prevent the accidental mounting of an
iSCSI
> disk from two or more machines.  Using IET as an iSCSI target I can
set
> MaxConnections=1 in the config.  This ensures that no accidental
> filesystem corruption happens due to two or more simultaneous mounts.
> However live migration is out of the question.  To move a DomU from
one
> box to another with the MaxConnections=1 safeguard I have to;
>
> Box 1:
> Shutdown the DomU.
> Perform an iSCSI logout.
>
> Box 2:
> Perform an iSCSI login.
> Start the DomU.
>
> Is there any way to perform a live migration of the above by getting
Xen
> to run iSCSI logout/login scripts as the DomU pauses in the middle of
> the live migration?  Are there any software hooks that can be used to
do
> this?
>
> Or are there simpler methods to guarantee the safe/single use of iSCSI
> disks that still allow Xen's live migration?

It sounds like Dom0 is making the iSCSI connection and exporting the
block device to DomU... is that the case?

If DomU initiated the iSCSI connection then I think this would solve all
of your problems, although it would create some of its own - root on
iSCSI can be a bit tricky.

James