[Xen-users] How to boot paravitrualized hosts in "linux rescue" mode to switch over to pygrub?

  • To: xen-users <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: Nico Kadel-Garcia <nkadel@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 11 Aug 2007 07:39:42 +0100
  • Delivery-date: Fri, 10 Aug 2007 23:39:30 -0700

Hello, folks.

I've got a bunch of para-virtualized DomU hosts that used the "kernel=" config files, with the partitions set to things like "phy:/dev/XENDISK/HOST-root,sda1,w". This has unfortunately become untenable for RHEL 5 hosting RHEL 4 clients, because maintaining the DomU kernel on hte Dom0 host causes fascinating RPM complaints.

I'd love to use the virt-install or virt-manager tools to boot from the network boot setup with a "linux rescue" option, so that I can mount a new Dom0 partition as a DomU drive, partition it, copy the materials over, and run "grub-install". But I'm having difficulty getting the system booted in that kind of "linux rescue" mode.

Rather than thrashing around myself, has anyone here done this or worked out how to do so? The virt-manager and virt-install tools don't seem to allow console access to the network boot's console options to select "rescue" mode. Do I have to do this through kickstart, or is there some more general approach?