Re: [xen-users] Resize lvm disk

"Marconi Rivello" <marconirivello@xxxxxxxxx> writes:

> I'm just replying to the list because I forgot to "reply to all", and it might
> help someone else with the same question.
>

> On 8/13/07, Marconi Rivello <[[marconirivello@xxxxxxxxx]]> wrote:
>
>                Hey,
>
>           There are a few problems with your commands:
>           1: you did lvresize on one lv and resized the filesystem of
>      another;
>           2: you FIRST fsck -f the filesystem you want to resize, THEN
>      you resize2fs it.

Note that for a few kernel versions ext2/3 has had online resizing
(growing only). So you just lvresize and then resize2fs without having
to umount or fsck. Much more fun.

>           Beware: that works to INCREASE a filesystem. If you want to
>      reduce it like that, you will lose data. You need to first decrease
>      the filesystem, then the LV.
>
>           But back to increasing it:
>
>           # lvresize -L 10g /dev/srv/toto-disk

I prefer to specify the amount of growth here. Less danger of
mistyping and getting a size smaller than you had.

e.g. lvresize -L +1G /dev/srv/toto-disk

But that might be just me.

MfG
        Goswin